New Year's Honey Cake
This New Year's honey cake is extra moist and sweet, as good on the day of baking as it is days later. and like most honey cakes, it keeps well and can be made a couple of days ahead.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 ⅓ cups plain flour
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp all spice
- pinch salt
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate soda
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup honey Macadamia
- ⅓ cup freshly brewed coffee
- zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Very generously grease cake tray (27cm x 8cm) with coconut oil and line with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl sift the flour, spices, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisks eggs and sugar for five minutes with an electric whisk on high speed. Add the honey and whisk until combined.
- Add the coffee, coconut oil and orange zest and whisk again until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and fold together using a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.