Sticky Chai Tea with Manuka Honey
We must start this recipe with a shout out to the fabulous Donna Hay as this is her recipe. It and many other amazing recipes can be found here. A handcrafted Indian tradition, Sticky Chai Tea combines whole leaf black tea with fresh spices and our beautiful Manuka honey. Full of antioxidants, the addition of raw Manuka honey creates antibacterial properties to promote immune defence.
- 16 Cardamom Pods
- 8 sticks Cinnamon broken into pieces
- 8 Star Anise
- 6 Cloves
- 1 teas Fennel Seeds
- 3 Vanilla Beans split and cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 cup Loose Black Tea Leaves
- 3/4 cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/4 teas Nutmeg finely grated
- 2 tbsp Ginger grated
- 1/4 cup Manuka Honey heated
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Place the cardamom, cinnamon, star-anise, cloves, fennel and vanilla in a mortar and pound with a pestle until small pieces form. (If you don’t have a mortar and pestle you can pulse up in a food processor or blender)
- Place the spice mixture in a small bowl, add the tea, coconut, nutmeg and ginger, and mix to combine.
- Add the hot honey and lemon juice and mix well to combine. Place in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. Makes 11/2 cups.
Our test chef has been on a Manuka Honey spree this month! After seeing firsthand the amazing benefits our Manuka MGO 900+ had on his daughters skin, he took himself off on a little mission to add the medicinal benefits of Manuka Honey to already healthy, wholesome recipes. This is but one we will be seeing in the coming weeks and months. To brew simply steep 2 tablespoons of the below chai mix in a mug with just enough boiling water to cover it. Continue to steep while you froth your Milk. Pour the hot milk into the chai, stir to infuse all the flavours and strain into your favourite mug. Note: If you don’t have a frothing device, simply heat the milk on the stove under med-high heat, or in the microwave. Tip: You can store this tea in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.