Honey Bee Trivia and Honey FactsDid you know….
- Honey bees fly up to 24 km an hour (that’s 15 miles on the old scale!)
- Worker bees are female (doesn’t seem right does it!)
- The honey bee is the only insect that produces food eaten by man (we always knew they were special)
- Cleopatra is said to have used honey as part of her beauty regime (check out our Instagram for a great honey & avocado mask).
- Honey is a natural energy boost. Why? The natural sugars in honey – fructose and glucose – are very quickly digested by the body.
- In the time of the Romans, honey was literally liquid gold as it was used instead of gold to pay taxes.
- In Celtic myths, bees possess a secret wisdom garnered from the other world. While in Australia and Africa, bees can be found as tribal totems.
- Honey bees gather nectar from over two million flowers and fly around 90,000 miles to make less than 500 gm of honey.
- Honey is a great substitute for sugar in cooking.
- It takes one ounce of honey to fuel a bee’s flight around the world. Yet, the average honey bee will only make one-twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime (that’s a lot of work!)
- Honey has been shown to have antiseptic properties and historically was used as a dressing for wounds and a first aid treatment for burns and cuts.
AB’s HONEY OPTIONS & MORE
Check out our range of honey online in our categories above or visit us at the Farmer’s Market in Brisbane City every Wednesday morning.