Honey is a versatile wonder! This golden nectar has been used in cooking for centuries, and due to it’s antibiotic and antimicrobial properties, as a therapeutic aid for colds, flu and wounds, so it is not surprising then that honey is also a wonder for your skin! Take a look on the shelves of any beauty store or chemist and you will see honey found in face masks, shampoos, lotions, lip balms, and more.
Benefits of Raw Honey for your Skin
The good news is, you don’t have to buy heavily processed beauty products to gain the benefits of honey – simply add it to your daily or weekly regime using AB’s Honey raw unpasteurised honey. According to TreeHugger “Honey, especially raw or #unpasteurised, is a fabulously versatile and all-natural ingredient to use on skin. It’s full of #antioxidants, which are good for wrinkles and aging skin. It is antibacterial, which helps with acne treatments and prevention. It clarifies skin by opening up and unclogging pores.”
Here are some easy ways you can use AB’s Honey outside your kitchen.
For your face
- A Simple Honey Mask: spread the honey over your face; rub it in your skin and let sit for up to 30 minutes (remember to avoid bees!) Rinse with warm water.
- Facial cleanser to remove makeup residue: combine honey and jojoba oil or coconut oil. Rub into your skin, avoiding the eye area. Rinse with warm water.
- Bath soak (some people say Cleopatra used this daily to keep her skin soft!): Combine 1/4 cup honey with 2 cups of milk. Add to a hot bath. Sit back and relax.
For your lips
- Lip Scrub. Combine one tablespoon of honey, four teaspoons of sugar and 1/ 2 tablespoon olive oil or softened coconut oil in a small bowl. Massage the mixture into your #lips and leave for 10 minutes. Gently remove with a wet face washer. Apply Lip balm to moisturise.
For your hair
- Shine Boosting Hair Mask: Mix together 1/2 cup raw honey and 1/4 cup olive or coconut oil in a small bowl or jug. Apply to your hair from roots to tips. Leave for 20 minutes, then rinse. Use weekly for added shine and volume.
- Revive Dry Hair. Revive dry, lacklustre hair by thoroughly mixing 1 teaspoon of raw honey with your shampoo. Lather as usual, then rinse well to leave your strands super-soft. We absolutely love this one and it works as raw honey is a humectant, allowing it to lock in moisture!
For your body
If are feeling adventurous and looking for a #chemical-free alternative to the store-bought options, try a Sugar-Honey wax. According to Leaf, Sugar Honey Wax is “an ecologically friendly hair remover that can be made in your own kitchen” and won’t expose your skin to harmful petroleum-based hair-removal products or clutter up the landfill with disposable plastic razors. Try these #beautytips with AB’s Honey Brisbane Locale, Yellow box, or Tea Tree Honey.